I was chatting w a friend about the Joni thing yesterday and he was telling me how spectacular Blue is and how she poured herself into that one. I think there are those albums that are not just beautiful, but are also where the artist digs deep and reveals themselves, while keeping it beautiful. Hmm.. thoughts on male singer-songwriters…. as much as I love Bob Dylan, I’m not sure I’d call even Blood on the Tracks “beautiful”. Yet, Tom Waits has so much beauty in his music – probably why Waits connects with me on a deeper level.
Continuing this theme, I do listen to women (vocalists) far more than men. IMHO, there is nothing better than an album by a talented woman who follows Joni’s Blue lead…. I came up with ten albums that are like Blue…. Personal and stunning…. I’m sure I forgot some, but these are albums that really left their mark on me. Please add any of yours. 😬
- The Story by Brandi Carlile
- One Moment More by Mindy Smith
- Burnt Toast and Offerings by Gretchen Peters
- Who I Am by Alice Peacock
- Flyer by Nanci Griffith
- Outside Child by Allison Russell
- Where It Goes by Lori Carson
- Sylvia Hotel by Cheryl Wheeler
- Cedar + Gold by Tristan Prettyman
- Low by Angel Snow
Let’s see how multiple links work….